8833 South Redwood Road
Suite C
West Jordan, UT 84088

Call For Free Consultation

(801) 676-5506

Call Us

Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number

The following questions and answers will provide information to taxpayers who need a taxpayer identification number for a child who has been placed in their home pending final adoption.

Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number

Q: What is an Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number?

A: An Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN) is issued by the Internal Revenue Service as a temporary taxpayer identification number for the child in a domestic adoption where the adopting taxpayers do not have and/or are unable to obtain the child’s Social Security Number (SSN). The ATIN is to be used by the adopting taxpayers on their Federal Income Tax return to identify the child while final domestic adoption is pending.

Q: Who needs an ATIN?

A: If you are in the process of adopting a child and are able to claim the child as your dependent or are able to claim a child care credit, you may need an ATIN for your adoptive child.

Q: Why do I need an ATIN?

A: Recent tax law changes require that when you list a person’s name on your federal income tax return, you must provide a valid identifying number for that person. During the adoption process, you may not have been able to obtain an existing or a new Social Security Number (SSN) for the child who may already have been placed in your home. If you are eligible to claim the child as your dependent, and you don’t have the child’s SSN, then you will need to request an ATIN in order to claim the child as a dependent and ( if eligible) to claim the child care credit.

Q: How do I know if I should apply for an ATIN?

A: You should apply for an ATIN only if you are in the process of adopting a child and you meet all of the following qualifications:

  1. The adoption is a domestic adoption.
  2. The child is legally placed in your home for adoption by a authorized adoption agency/agent.
  3. The adoption is not yet final, and you are unable to obtain the child’s existing SSN or you are unable to apply for a new SSN for the child pending the finalization of the adoption.
  4. You qualify to claim the child as a dependent.

Q: Can I get an ATIN if I am adopting a child from another country?

A: No. You should apply through the Social Security Administration (SSA) for a valid SSN. When you are adopting a foreign child, upon the child’s entry into the United States you should receive enough documentation from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) to satisfy the Social Security Administration’s requirements for a SSN.

Q: I meet the requirements to apply for an ATIN. What form do I use to apply?

A: The Form W-7A, Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending Adoptions, is used by qualifying taxpayers to obtain an ATIN. To get Form W-7A, you may go to any IRS walk-in site or call 1-800-829-3676. You may also download the form from the IRS website in Adobe PDF format.

Q: How long is the ATIN valid?

A: As soon as the adoption becomes final, the adopting parents should obtain an SSN for the child and notify the IRS of the new SSN. When the IRS is notified of a new SSN for the adopted child, it will deactivate the ATIN. If the adopting parents do not notify the IRS within two years, the ATIN will be automatically deactivated.

Free Consultation with Adoption Lawyer in Utah

If you have a question about a stepchild adoption or if you need a lawyer in Utah, please call Ascent Law at (801) 676-5506. We will help you.

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506

Ascent Law LLC

4.9 stars – based on 67 reviews

Recent Posts

Child Support

Probate Basics

Utah Divorce and Guardian ad Litem

Father’s Rights Lawyers

Embezzlement Attorney

Divorce and Credit Cards

Share this Article

About the Author

People who want a lot of Bull go to a Butcher. People who want results navigating a complex legal field go to a Lawyer that they can trust. That’s where I come in. I am Michael Anderson, an Attorney in the Salt Lake area focusing on the needs of the Average Joe wanting a better life for him and his family. I’m the Lawyer you can trust. I grew up in Utah and love it here. I am a Father to three, a Husband to one, and an Entrepreneur. I understand the feelings of joy each of those roles bring, and I understand the feeling of disappointment, fear, and regret when things go wrong. I attended the University of Utah where I received a B.A. degree in 2010 and a J.D. in 2014. I have focused my practice in Wills, Trusts, Real Estate, and Business Law. I love the thrill of helping clients secure their future, leaving a real legacy to their children. Unfortunately when problems arise with families. I also practice Family Law, with a focus on keeping relationships between the soon to be Ex’s civil for the benefit of their children and allowing both to walk away quickly with their heads held high. Before you worry too much about losing everything that you have worked for, before you permit yourself to be bullied by your soon to be ex, before you shed one more tear in silence, call me. I’m the Lawyer you can trust.