The county was created by the Utah Territory legislature on January 5, 1856, with territory partitioned from Weber County. Its boundaries were altered in 1862 by adjustments between counties, and in 1866 when all its area in the now existent state of Nevada (which had gained territorial status in 1861, and statehood in 1864 was formally partitioned. The county boundaries were finally altered in 1880 by adjustments between Salt Lake and Weber counties. Its boundary has remained unchanged since 1880.
The California Trail followed Goose Creek from a point just North of the Idaho/Utah border Southwest across Northwestern Box Elder County to Little Goose Creek in Northeastern Elko County, Nevada. The link-up of the first transcontinental railroad occurred at Promontory Summit, Utah in 1869. The famous Spiral Jetty was built on the north shore of the Great Salt Lake in
Box Elder County In Utah
Box Elder County lies at the NW corner of Utah. Its west border abuts the east border of the state of Nevada and its north border abuts the south border of the state of Idaho. Its territory includes large tracts of barren desert, contrasted by high, forested mountains. The Wasatch Front lies along the south-eastern border, where the main cities are found. The terrain generally slopes to the south (toward the Great Salt Lake), although the NW corner of the county slopes to the north, allowing runoff from that area to flow to the Snake River drainage. The county’s highest point is a mountain ridge near the NW corner, at 9,180′ (2798m) ASL. The county has a total area of 6,729 square miles (17,430 km2), of which 5,746 square miles (14,880 km2) is land and 984 square miles (2,550 km2) (15%) is water. It is the fourth-largest county in Utah by area. In the east lie the Wellsville Mountains, a branch of the Wasatch Range. In the west is a large, mostly uninhabited desert area. The Great Salt Lake lies in the southeastern corner of the county. The combined Interstate 15/Interstate 84 runs northward in the eastern part of the county. The two routes diverge at Tremonton, with I-84 heading northwest past Snowville into central and western Idaho, and I-15 heading north past Plymouth and Portage into eastern Idaho.
• Cache County – Northeast
• Weber County – East
• Tooele County – South
• Elko County, Nevada – West
• Cassia County, Idaho – Northwest
• Oneida County, Idaho – North
National protected areas
• Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge
• Caribou-Targhee National Forest
• Golden Spike National Historic Site
• Sawtooth National Forest
• Wasatch-Cache National Forest
During Census, there were 42,745 people, 13,144 households, and 10,804 families in the county. The population density was 7.44/sqmi (2.87/km²). There were 14,209 housing units at an average density of 2.47/sqmi (0.95/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 92.87% White, 0.17% Black or African American, 0.88% Native American, 0.96% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 3.45% from other races, and 1.60% from two or more races. 6.53% of the populations were Hispanic or Latino of any race. There were 13,144 households out of which 47.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 71.00% were married couples living together, 7.90% had a female householder with no husband present, and 17.80% were non-families. Of the 13,144 households, 281 are unmarried partner households: 247 heterosexual, 22 same-sex male, and 12 same-sex female. 16.00% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older.
The average household size was 3.22 and the average family size was 3.63. The county population contained 36.10% under the age of 18, 10.50% from 18 to 24, 25.40% from 25 to 44, 17.70% from 45 to 64, and 10.40% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 28 years. For every 100 females there were 101.70 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.90 males. The median income for a household in the county was $44,630, and the median income for a family was $49,421. Males had a median income of $38,814 versus $22,435 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,625. About 5.80% of families and 7.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.30% of those under age 18 and 5.30% of those ages 65 or over. Mid-sized city/Suburban complex, North-central Utah, 40 miles north of Salt Lake City. June, September and August are the most pleasant months in Box Elder County, while January and December are the least comfortable months.
Pros Of Box Elder County
• Attractive setting
• Nearby recreation
Cons Of Box Elder County
• Growth and sprawl
• Air quality
Cities And Towns In Box Elder Utah
• Bear River City,
• Brigham City,
Economy of Box Elder
The unemployment rate in Box Elder County is 3.0% (U.S. avg. is 3.9%). Recent job growth is Positive. Box Elder County jobs have increased by 0.4%.
Compared to the rest of the country, Box Elder County’s cost of living is 4.5% higher than the U.S. average.
June, September and August are the most pleasant months in Box Elder County, while January and December are the least comfortable months.
Box Elder County public schools spend $7,979 per student. The average school expenditure in the U.S. is $12,383. There are about 22.4 students per teacher in Box Elder County.
The County Courthouse was built in 1855 or 1856 as the first public building in the area. Vaughn Nielson in The History of Box Elder Stake stated that the rock walls for the basement story were all laid by the fall of 1856. After these basement walls were laid up and window and doors installed, the structure was covered with a temporary roof, and the building was utilized for meetings and drama during the winter of 1856. In 1857, two stories of adobe brick were built upon this foundation, but before the walls were finished, a strong wind partially blew them down. These walls were then rebuilt and the building was completed before the end of 1857. Lorenzo Snow, the leader of the community stated by the fall of 1857 they had built the second and much better courthouse, the upper story of which was 45 X 65, while the original basement room was 22 X 45. He says the roofing of the new structure was fastened with wooden pins. As the only public building for a time, it had many uses: a church, a school, a dance hall, and a theater. Before the community was divided into wards (ecclesiastical boundaries) and separate churches were built, the people of the entire community met in the large upstairs room of the building for church services.
It was the largest hall in town and had a gallery built into the entire west end of it with a choir loft under the gallery. A stage was located at the east end of the room and a table was placed on this stage which served as a pulpit during church meetings. When stage entertainment was held, public and church officials sat with their wives in the choir loft. After the towns division into wards, the fourth ward continued to hold church services in the courthouse. They met in the downstairs east room until 1880. School was taught in the downstairs east room of the building as late as 1880 and theatrical productions were staged first in the basement where the scenery was painted onto the walls, and later in the large hall upstairs where religious and social functions took place. County and City government meetings were also held in the early courthouse. Brigham City was incorporated in 1867, and meetings with the mayor and city council at first took place quarterly, and by 1894 bi-monthly sessions took place. By the early 1870’s there was a large bell which hung in the tower (on the roof) of the courthouse which signaled work time, lunch time, and quitting time with the Brigham City Co-operative enterprises. It also was a fire bell. Late in 1892, the old bell cracked and was replaced by a borrowed one. This one also cracked when it was rung too long celebrating Utah’s Statehood on January 4, 1896. Around the turn of the century, the top floor of the courthouse was being used for the district courtroom, assessor’s office, commissioner’s chambers, sheriff’s office, and judge’s chamber. In January of 1910, a major addition to the front (west end) of the original adobe structure was planned by the county commissioners. By the spring of 1910, the new addition was well underway. It took a year and one-half to complete, and on November 14, 1911, county and district officials moved into the new wing.
Lawyers in Box Elder County Utah
Here are some of the areas of law that the attorneys at Ascent Law LLC practice for their clients in Box Elder County Utah:
Upon entering the building, the first floor door to the left opens to the clerk’s office. On the right of the hall, is the district court room and judge’s chambers. The court room is a large, well lighted room occupying the East half of the space, and the judge’s chambers are on the West end, the first door to the right upon entering the building form the district courtroom, a private stairway leads down to the basement to the sheriff’s offices. On the second or top floor, will be located the district attorney’s and county attorney’s offices. They will occupy the South portion of the building, the district attorney having his quarters on the East end, three splendid rooms and the county attorney on the west end, with three splendid rooms, both suites having an entrance to the main hallway. Across the hall on the north side in the North West part, the commissioners have splendid apartments consisting of two rooms. To the East of the commissioner’s apartments, is a large room which will be fitted up for the Justice of the Peace and Juvenile Court. The rooms now occupied by the Recorder and Clerk will be made into one, or at least they will be connected by an entrance through the wall that separates them, and those rooms will be occupied by the Treasurer. The Assessor will be moved down into the present quarters of the Treasurer.
The Sheriff’s and Assessor’s offices are located in the basement; on the first floor is to be found the offices of the county Clerk, county Treasurer, Soil Conservation office, State Road Commission headquarters, the District Courtroom and Judges Chambers. The second floor houses the Daughters of the Utah Pioneer’s relic hall, the National Resettlement office, the School Board offices, the Office of the District Agricultural Inspector, and the headquarters for the County Extension Division.
Offices in the courthouse in 1996 were: Recorder/Clerk’s Office, Surveyor Office, and Building Inspection Office, and Agricultural Inspection Office, Auditor’s Office, Justice Court Offices, Justice Court Judge’s Office, Justice Court Courtroom, Assessor/Treasurer (including the Motor Vehicle Division for license plates), and a Law Library, Personnel Office, USU Extension Offices, County Commission Offices, Commission Secretary’s Office, Purchasing Department, County Attorney’s Secretary, Deputy County Attorney’s Office, and a new conference room. After the Centennial, many other projects took place.
In 2007, improvements were made to the landscaping and preservation of the GI statue. On April 16th, 2007, removal of the old trees in front of the building was begun. The birch trees were first removed due to a tree boar problem. When the birch trees were removed, it was noticed that the pine trees were misshapen due to the growth of the birch trees. It was decided by the County Commission to remove the old pine trees as well. The pine tree to the South of the grounds was 82 feet tall, the equivalent to 13.666 6ft. tall men stacked on top of each other. The pine tree on the North part of the grounds was 77 feet tall. Box Elder County was established by act of the Territorial Legislature in 1856. Governor Brigham Young signed the enabling legislation which provided for various county offices, including an administrative unit referred to as a County Court. The court consisted of three selectmen elected by popular vote and a probate judge appointed by the governor of the territory. The probate judge usually served as chairman of the court. In 1896, the position of probate judge as a part of the county governing body was eliminated. The County Court became the County Commission and members of the Commission were designated as County Commissioners, whereas, prior to 1896, they were called selectmen.
Box Elder County Utah Court Directory
The Utah trial court system consists of District Courts, Juvenile Courts, and Justice Courts.
Below is a directory of court locations in Box Elder County. Links for online court records and other free court resources are provided for each court, where available.
District Courts in Box Elder County
• 1st District Court – Box Elder County
43 North Main, PO Box 873, Brigham City, UT 84302
Juvenile Courts in Box Elder County
• 1st District Juvenile Court – Box Elder County
43 North Main Street, PO Box 873, Brigham City, UT 84302
Justice Courts in Box Elder County
• Box Elder County Justice Court
81 North Main Street, Brigham City, UT 84302
• Garland City Justice Court
72 North Main Street, PO Box 95, Garland, UT 84312
• Mantua Justice Court
409 North Main Street, Mantua, UT 84324
• Tremonton City Justice Court
102 South Tremont Street, Tremonton, UT 84337
• Willard City Justice Court
80 West 50 South, PO Box 593, Willard, UT 84340
County Website: http://www.boxeldercounty.org
Lawyer In Box Elder County Utah Free Consultation
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States
Telephone: (801) 676-5506