8833 South Redwood Road
Suite C
West Jordan, UT 84088

Call For Free Consultation

(801) 676-5506

Call Us

Child Support Enforcement in Utah

Some parents avoid their responsibilities to their children. This is growing problem that impacts the financial stability of many families across Utah. When children don’t receive the expected child support payments, many aspects of their lives can be affected, including their health care, education, and extracurricular activities. The loss of financial support can have a profound impact on your children. The law requires this support and it should be honored. Ask a Salt Lake City child support attorney about how a child support order can be enforced. At Ascent Law, we want to help you if you are in this situation.

Child Support Enforcement in Utah


They are responsible for enforcing child support in Utah. Parents who struggle with their finances and who are unable to provide child support as established by the court can seek assistance from the ORS. If you are a parent who is not receiving child support from your former spouse, you can also ask them for help. Some of the services the ORS provides include:

  • Help when parents move to a different state.
  • Taking funds from the non-custodial parent’s account and withholding income.
  • Report missing child support.
  • Driver’s license suspension.
  • Deducting funds from other assets and filing liens.


Child support is one of the most contentious aspects of family law. Some methods employed by the ORS are not enough to recover the funds your child needs. The judge may need to force your former spouse to provide child support by using an order that will force your ex to pay. A Salt Lake City child support attorney can explain the whole process. Some things the judge may do include:

  • Issuing fines against your former spouse.
  • Your ex-spouse may be guilty of contempt of court.
  • Holding your former spouse in jail until he or she pays.


If your former spouse has missed child support payments, you cannot withhold visitation from him or her. It’s unlawful since your ex’s visitation rights are also legal. In other words, you could be facing the same penalties your ex is facing for not providing child support. Ask your attorney what to do in these types of situations.


If you and your spouse recently decided to informally or legally separate, it is important for you to take a few pieces of straightforward advice into consideration. True, you are likely receiving loads of unsolicited and unwanted advice from loved ones, colleagues, acquaintances and strangers. You can take or leave this advice as you please. But when it comes to choices that could ultimately affect your divorce process, should you ultimately decide to file for divorce, it is important to keep a few tips in mind.

First, understand that you are in a vulnerable place right now, even if you have built up numerous defense mechanisms or healthy behaviors that are leaving you feeling fairly strong and focused. When individuals are vulnerable, they are prone to acting on impulse and emotion. Please check your decisions at any time that they are coming from a place of impulse or emotion. Failure to do so can result in actions you will almost certainly regret.
Second, start thinking about how any financial decisions you make now may affect a property division settlement in the future. Making large purchases, selling off significant assets, diving into debt and otherwise engaging in major financial decisions is generally a poor idea during separation. These actions could be perceived negatively by a judge or they could result in other harmful and unforeseen consequences.

Even if your separation is informal, consider speaking with an experienced family law attorney before you make any major financial, impulsive or emotional decisions that could haunt you later. Your future self may thank you profusely for taking this action.

Free Initial Consultation with Lawyer

It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when. Legal problems come to everyone. Whether it’s your son who gets in a car wreck, your uncle who loses his job and needs to file for bankruptcy, your sister’s brother who’s getting divorced, or a grandparent that passes away without a will -all of us have legal issues and questions that arise. So when you have a law question, call Ascent Law for your free consultation (801) 676-5506. We want to help you!

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506

Ascent Law LLC

4.9 stars – based on 67 reviews

Recent Posts

Going Public with your startup in Utah

Lessons Learned from 50 Cent’s Bankruptcy

Real Estate Lawyer

Injury Lawyer

Family Lawyer

Tax Lawyer

Share this Article

About the Author

People who want a lot of Bull go to a Butcher. People who want results navigating a complex legal field go to a Lawyer that they can trust. That’s where I come in. I am Michael Anderson, an Attorney in the Salt Lake area focusing on the needs of the Average Joe wanting a better life for him and his family. I’m the Lawyer you can trust. I grew up in Utah and love it here. I am a Father to three, a Husband to one, and an Entrepreneur. I understand the feelings of joy each of those roles bring, and I understand the feeling of disappointment, fear, and regret when things go wrong. I attended the University of Utah where I received a B.A. degree in 2010 and a J.D. in 2014. I have focused my practice in Wills, Trusts, Real Estate, and Business Law. I love the thrill of helping clients secure their future, leaving a real legacy to their children. Unfortunately when problems arise with families. I also practice Family Law, with a focus on keeping relationships between the soon to be Ex’s civil for the benefit of their children and allowing both to walk away quickly with their heads held high. Before you worry too much about losing everything that you have worked for, before you permit yourself to be bullied by your soon to be ex, before you shed one more tear in silence, call me. I’m the Lawyer you can trust.