8833 South Redwood Road
Suite C
West Jordan, UT 84088

Call For Free Consultation

(801) 676-5506

Call Us

Divorce Tax Tips

Divorce Tax Tips

The many changes in your life after divorce include new rules imposed by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) about your claims, deductions, exemptions and income.

Your new single status

The IRS classifies you as a single person even if your divorce was not finalized until the last day of the taxable year — in most cases, a decree dated December 31st means you were single the previous year, whereas a date of January 1st means you were married. You remain liable for any unpaid taxes, penalties and interest on joint tax returns you filed while married. Your separation does not release you from the liability, even if your divorce decree specifically holds your former spouse liable. However, you can apply to the IRS for relief if your spouse is responsible for mistakes on your past tax returns.

Social Security after name change

The name on your tax return should match that of your Social Security Administration (SSA) records. A disparity between the surnames can cause problems with processing your return and delay receipt of your refund. To change your surname back to your former name, apply to your local SSA for a new card and show a copy of your final decree as proof.

How to claim alimony on your tax return

You can deduct alimony you pay to your former spouse, whereas your former spouse must report the amount as income. However, if you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who pays spousal support to a foreign national, you may be required to withhold income tax at a 30 percent rate.

Child support and taxes

Your child support payments are not tax deductible, and conversely, the child support your spouse receives is not considered income. If you pay your former spouse less than what you owe in financial support, any payments you make apply first to your child support obligations and then to your alimony responsibilities.

Child Marriage and Divorce in the United States

Within the last few years alone, 12 states have discussed bills in their legislatures that center on the issue of the legality of child marriage. So far, all these states have said children under the age of 18 can marry, but there are certain conditions attached to it.

An important follow-up question that has not gotten as much attention is whether minors who get married may also get divorced. In many cases, minors are not legally allowed to get a direct divorce. This is because marriage is considered a binding legal contract, with most laws stipulating that only adults may enter contracts. The laws operate based on the presumption that anyone who is getting married is an adult.

Therefore, if a minor wants to change his or her marriage contract, that person must seek the assistance of an adult. It’s an issue in more marriages than one might expect. Between 2000 and 2015, there were at least 207,468 child marriages in 44 different states.

Why divorce for minors should be more accessible

Child advocates are particularly concerned with married minors being able to get divorced because numerous studies have shown children who get married before turning 18 are at significantly higher risk of domestic violence. This means that there are legal hurdles to ending the marriage that could prolong this abuse.

As of now, minors who wish to get divorced must have an adult appointed to act on their behalf. This person is known as the guardian ad litem, the official advocate for the minor who oversees the divorce motion.

Free Consultation with Divorce Lawyer in Utah

If you have a question about divorce law or if you need to start or defend against a divorce case in Utah call Ascent Law at (801) 676-5506. We will fight for you.

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506

Ascent Law LLC

4.9 stars – based on 67 reviews

Recent Posts

Child’s School Consistency in Divorce

Contested Guardianship Cases in Utah

What is Malicious Mother Syndrome

Do I Need an Injury Lawyer?

How to Determine If a Prenuptial Agreement is Right for You?

Trusts of Special Power of Appointment

Share this Article

About the Author

People who want a lot of Bull go to a Butcher. People who want results navigating a complex legal field go to a Lawyer that they can trust. That’s where I come in. I am Michael Anderson, an Attorney in the Salt Lake area focusing on the needs of the Average Joe wanting a better life for him and his family. I’m the Lawyer you can trust. I grew up in Utah and love it here. I am a Father to three, a Husband to one, and an Entrepreneur. I understand the feelings of joy each of those roles bring, and I understand the feeling of disappointment, fear, and regret when things go wrong. I attended the University of Utah where I received a B.A. degree in 2010 and a J.D. in 2014. I have focused my practice in Wills, Trusts, Real Estate, and Business Law. I love the thrill of helping clients secure their future, leaving a real legacy to their children. Unfortunately when problems arise with families. I also practice Family Law, with a focus on keeping relationships between the soon to be Ex’s civil for the benefit of their children and allowing both to walk away quickly with their heads held high. Before you worry too much about losing everything that you have worked for, before you permit yourself to be bullied by your soon to be ex, before you shed one more tear in silence, call me. I’m the Lawyer you can trust.