8833 South Redwood Road
Suite C
West Jordan, UT 84088

Call For Free Consultation

(801) 676-5506

Call Us

Income Tax Law

Income Tax Law

Yes, you have to pay taxes on your income. There is no way around it. Just do it. As you are likely aware, the government collects income tax from U.S. residents each year. Personal income tax revenues help fund programs and services like Social Security, Medicare, schools, roads, national security, and the welfare system. If employed, an individual’s employer will withhold income taxes. Because self-employed individuals do not have taxes withheld, they will generally pay estimated taxes throughout the year.

What income is subject to income tax? Individuals must pay taxes on income, including wages, salaries, tips, commissions, business income, rents, dividends, alimony, capital gains, IRA distributions, unemployment benefits, and Social Security benefits if the recipient’s total income exceeds a certain amount.

What kinds of deductions can I take? Tax deductions are adjustments to an individual’s taxable income. For every dollar of deductions that an individual has, the amount of income the the government levies taxes on decreases by a dollar. A taxpayer can take the standard deduction or itemize deductions. Common deductions include student loan interest, college tuition, medical and dental costs, mortgage points, mortgage interest, theft or casualty losses, property taxes, state income taxes, charitable contributions, and home office expenses.

What are tax credits? Tax credits reduce an individual’s tax liability dollar for dollar. For every dollar of tax credits that an individual has, the dollar amount of the taxes that they must pay goes down by a dollar. Every year new tax credits become available, but common credits include the earned income credit, first-time home buyer credit, child and dependent care credit, adoption credit, Hope and Lifetime Learning credit, credit for the elderly and disabled, and retirement savings contributions credit.

Can I obtain an extension if I am unable to file my tax return by April 15? If a taxpayer is unable to file a return on time, the taxpayer can make a request for an automatic extension by filing IRS Form 4868. Along with filing the form, it is necessary to pay all of the tax liability or the estimated income tax due. The extension to file does not extend the time to pay.

What happens if I fail to file a tax return? If six years have not elapsed from the date the tax return was due, the IRS can seek criminal charges against the taxpayer. The IRS can also pursue collection activities without any time constraints. In addition, failing to file a tax return by the deadline can result in the assessment of penalties and interest on the tax debt, the filing of a substitute return for the taxpayer by the IRS, and the IRS can begin collection activities — including levying wages and bank accounts and placing a lien on real property — after assessing the tax debt.
Do I have to file a tax return if I live in another country? A U.S. citizen earning income abroad must still file a tax return and pay taxes to the U.S. government. If qualified for the foreign earned income exclusion, the taxpayer may exclude foreign income up to $91,400. The taxpayer may also qualify for the foreign housing exclusion and deduction. In some countries, the taxpayer may also have to pay income taxes in the country they reside in.

What types of activities may trigger an audit by the IRS? It is difficult to completely audit-proof a tax return, but some taxpayer activities may stand out. For instance, the IRS may scrutinize a self-employed person more than an employed taxpayer because there is more opportunity to hide income and claim personal expenses as business expenses.

Can I pay my tax debt in an installment plan? A taxpayer that is unable to pay their tax debt by the deadline may work out an installment agreement with the IRS. An installment agreement allows the payment of the debt in installments, but interest and penalties will apply. To qualify, the taxpayer must be current on their tax return filings. A taxpayer that owes more than $25,000 will need to request approval of a proposed installment agreement.

Can I settle my tax debt with the IRS? In some cases, the IRS will agree to settle a tax debt for less than what the taxpayer owes. Requests to settle debts are called “offers in compromise” (OIC). If the debtor can pay the full tax liability in an installment plan or by another method, the IRS will most likely deny a settlement request. The IRS may accept a request based on three reasons: there is doubt about the tax liability, there is doubt that the tax debt is collectible, or collecting the tax liability would create economic hardship or an exceptional circumstance makes it unfair.

Will bankruptcy eliminate tax debt? Sometimes. Is the tax debt based on personal taxes? Is the tax debt 3 years old from the date of assessment prior to filing for bankruptcy? Are you filing a chapter 13, 12, 7, 11 or 9? Tax liability sometimes survives bankruptcy. You need to speak with a bankruptcy lawyer to discuss this issue in more detail based on your specific circumstances. Generally, in Chapter 13, the debtor will have to pay the debt in full in a repayment plan and the debtor will most likely continue to owe the debt at the conclusion of a Chapter 7. However, a taxpayer may discharge tax liability in Chapter 7 upon the fulfillment of certain conditions.

Tax Lawyer Free Consultaiton

When you need legal help with taxes (whether they are with the Utah State Tax Commission or the IRS), please call Ascent Law for your free tax law consultation (801) 676-5506. We want to help you.

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506
Ascent Law LLC
4.9 stars – based on 67 reviews

Recent Posts

Tax Forms Law

Non Divorce Custody and Visitation

Trademark Infringement Protection

Wellness Programs at Work

Custody Arrangements

Non-Conforming Use Law

Share this Article

About the Author

People who want a lot of Bull go to a Butcher. People who want results navigating a complex legal field go to a Lawyer that they can trust. That’s where I come in. I am Michael Anderson, an Attorney in the Salt Lake area focusing on the needs of the Average Joe wanting a better life for him and his family. I’m the Lawyer you can trust. I grew up in Utah and love it here. I am a Father to three, a Husband to one, and an Entrepreneur. I understand the feelings of joy each of those roles bring, and I understand the feeling of disappointment, fear, and regret when things go wrong. I attended the University of Utah where I received a B.A. degree in 2010 and a J.D. in 2014. I have focused my practice in Wills, Trusts, Real Estate, and Business Law. I love the thrill of helping clients secure their future, leaving a real legacy to their children. Unfortunately when problems arise with families. I also practice Family Law, with a focus on keeping relationships between the soon to be Ex’s civil for the benefit of their children and allowing both to walk away quickly with their heads held high. Before you worry too much about losing everything that you have worked for, before you permit yourself to be bullied by your soon to be ex, before you shed one more tear in silence, call me. I’m the Lawyer you can trust.