8833 South Redwood Road
Suite C
West Jordan, UT 84088

Call For Free Consultation

(801) 676-5506

Call Us

IRS Tax Bills

IRS Tax Bills

If you owe taxes to the IRS but didn’t send payment with your return, the IRS will probably send you a bill. When you receive the bill, you shouldn’t panic. However, you shouldn’t ignore it either. The IRS charges heavy penalties and fines on unpaid tax debt. If possible, pay your bill in full by check, credit card, debit card, or electronic fund transfer as soon as possible. The IRS website has more information on how to do this. However, if paying your bill in full is not possible, or if the bill contains an error, read on for tips on what to do next.

Did the IRS Make a Mistake?

If you received a bill that you think is in error, contact the IRS as soon as possible. The appropriate contact information should be listed somewhere on your bill. Prepare a written explanation of why you think the bill should be reduced. Include copies of any supporting documents, including past tax returns, receipts, past tax payments, etc. Do not send originals unless specifically requested to do so – you may never see these documents again.

You should also make sure to keep good records of any communication between you and the IRS. Keep copies of any written correspondence along with the rest of your tax documents. If you choose to conduct business over the phone, keep a journal of each phone conversation, noting the date and time of each call, the name and ID of any person with whom you spoke, any relevant contact information, and the substance of the conversation. You may also want to speak to a tax attorney who may be able to advocate on your behalf.

What If You Can’t Afford the Bill?

First, consider sending the IRS an Offer in Compromise to see if you can get your tax bill reduced. If that’s unsuccessful, you should reach for your calculator. The IRS charges a late penalty of .5 percent for every month a tax bill is not paid. That amount will increase each month until it reaches 25 percent of the total tax debt. On top of that, the IRS charges interest on back taxes, penalties, and interest of 3 percent per year, compounded daily. Many people are able to take out a loan to cover their tax debt at a lower interest rate than the IRS. Even paying through credit card may offer a better overall interest rate, although it will probably be fairly close.

If you don’t want to take out a loan, you can try to set up a payment plan with the IRS. However, you’ll still pay interest on your total tax debt, and you’ll need to pay a startup fee to file the application for a payment plan. Keep in mind that any future refunds will be applied directly to your tax bill, but that doesn’t mean you can skip a payment under your plan.
Finally, if your tax debt is older, you may be able to get it discharged through bankruptcy under certain circumstances. A bankruptcy lawyer will be able to evaluate your situation and explain your options to you.

Tax Lawyer Free Consultation

When you need legal help with an IRS tax bill, please call Ascent Law for your free consultation (801) 676-5506. We want to help you.

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506

Ascent Law LLC

4.9 stars – based on 67 reviews

Recent Posts

Racial Discrimination Law

Alimony For Cheaters in Divorce


Divorce for Dads


Trademark Rights

Share this Article

About the Author

People who want a lot of Bull go to a Butcher. People who want results navigating a complex legal field go to a Lawyer that they can trust. That’s where I come in. I am Michael Anderson, an Attorney in the Salt Lake area focusing on the needs of the Average Joe wanting a better life for him and his family. I’m the Lawyer you can trust. I grew up in Utah and love it here. I am a Father to three, a Husband to one, and an Entrepreneur. I understand the feelings of joy each of those roles bring, and I understand the feeling of disappointment, fear, and regret when things go wrong. I attended the University of Utah where I received a B.A. degree in 2010 and a J.D. in 2014. I have focused my practice in Wills, Trusts, Real Estate, and Business Law. I love the thrill of helping clients secure their future, leaving a real legacy to their children. Unfortunately when problems arise with families. I also practice Family Law, with a focus on keeping relationships between the soon to be Ex’s civil for the benefit of their children and allowing both to walk away quickly with their heads held high. Before you worry too much about losing everything that you have worked for, before you permit yourself to be bullied by your soon to be ex, before you shed one more tear in silence, call me. I’m the Lawyer you can trust.