Mold can present a danger to many homeowners. The toxins from many common forms of mold can cause asthma, allergic reactions, and other unpleasant symptoms. To make matters worse, mold can be difficult and expensive to remove. Included in this section are tips on how to assert your rights if you have suffered property damage or health problems caused by toxic mold and how to prevent mold from entering your house in the first place.
Mold is everywhere, and most types of mold are harmless even if they smell bad or look disgusting. But toxic mold — as its name implies — is a big problem in some parts of the country, particularly when builders have not property accounted for the likelihood of mold development. The types of mold considered toxic are those that produce mycotoxins, which can cause a whole slew of health problems if not removed promptly. Removal itself can be very difficult, since it tends to spread rapidly and often requires the removal of carpet, floorboards, drywall, and other materials.
Toxic mold, as with all kinds of mold, enter the home as spores in the air and then thrive in areas that are damp and dark. In fact, many newer homes are airtight in order to improve energy efficiency; but this inhibits the ability of the building to dry out. If water leaks from a faulty pipe, for example, it will slowly soak into the surrounding materials without evaporating. Any mold spores in the vicinity will quickly take hold and multiply.
Although mold typically takes hold in the dark, often-unseen parts of your home, there are some warning signs that you may have a mold problem. Remember, the earlier it is detected, the easier it will be to clean up and the less likely you will be to suffer any health problems. The warning signs of possible mold infestation like a visible mold growth or water stains or discoloration on walls; a “musty” odor; or standing water or condensation on walls, floors, or windows
Health Problems From Mold
Certain kinds of mold give off “volatile organic compounds” (or VOCs) through their natural processes, which evaporate at room temperature and give off that telltale musty odor. The VOCs of some types of mold are toxic to humans and do not evaporate as easily. Since it’s difficult to determine at the outset whether a mold is toxic, it’s always a safe bet to investigate it and then remove it. Some of the illnesses caused by mold exposure include (a) allergies; (b) headaches; (c) breathing problems; (d) fevers; (e) sore throat; (f) rashes; (g) and/or burning sensation in your eyes.
The individuals most at risk of illnesses caused by mold exposure are those with allergies, a weakened immune system, or lung disease; the elderly; and young children.
Mold Lawyer Free Consultation
When you are considering filing a lawsuit for mold, please call Ascent Law for your free consultation (801) 676-5506. We want to help you.
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States
Telephone: (801) 676-5506