Your wounds may not have even dried before you start getting calls, requests and bills from insurance companies, doctors, police and others. At such a time when you should be focusing on healing and recovery, you may be feeling completely overwhelmed and stressed wondering how you are going to pay for everything. This is when an injury lawyer can help. An injury lawyer helps individuals who have sustained injuries in accidents to recover financial compensation. These funds are often needed to pay for medical treatment, make up for lost wages, pain and suffering, and provide compensation for injuries suffered. Common examples of personal injury practice areas include motor vehicle accidents, slip and fall accidents, defective products, workplace injuries and medical malpractice.
Basics of Injury Law
An injury lawyer performs many important duties. These common functions include:
• Explains your rights: An injury lawyer can explain how an accident and different legal issues affect a person’s rights. Different states have different laws pertaining to the statutes of limitations or how comparative negligence affects a case. The statute of limitations imposes time limits for when a lawsuit must be filed. Comparative negligence rules determine whether a person can sue if he was partially to blame for the accident and how much he can recover.
• Provides advice: An injury Lawyer can walk a client through the system with the finesse of a professional tour guide. They help you understand complicated legal procedures, interpret medical and insurance jargon, and get through the maze of paperwork required in injury cases. One common piece of advice is not to provide a statement to the other driver’s insurance company since it will simply look for ways to deny liability. An injury lawyer may also recommend seeking medical treatment to document the relationship between the accident and the injury. An injury attorney also provides you objective opinions about your case so that you can make the best possible decision that aren’t clouded by fear, anger, frustration, stress and other emotions many injury victims understandably experience.
• Represents in court: Most injury cases do not result in a trial; the vast majority is settled even before a lawsuit is filed. However, if the insurance company denies the claim, it’s possible that the only way for the victim to recover is by going through a full civil trial. Litigation is complex and requires close adherence to proper procedures and rules of evidence. This is not a task best handled by a novice.
Some surprising ways you didn’t know a lawyer could help you
Lawyers do have skills, you know. There are some great ways they can help:
• Completes a professional investigation: An injury firms may have their own investigators document the scene of an accident, interview witnesses and develop theories about how the incident occurred. These might be professional investigators or even retired cops working a new job. Outside experts such as accident reconstruction experts may be necessary if the cause of the accident is in dispute. Your attorney will have a dedicated roster of professionals he or she normally uses and will know who can assist.
• Connects with medical providers: An injury lawyer may have a business relationship with a medical professional who may agree to provide medical services in favor of a lien on any future settlement or judgment. They may also have greater experience in understanding serious injuries and may recommend a particular specialist who has provided superb results in previous cases.
• Better assesses damages: Many accident victims only think about the immediate impact of an accident. After all, they could be receiving harassing phone calls from bill collectors, making up funds after being off work for a few weeks and may need to repair their vehicle to get back on the road. However, an injury lawyer deals with these cases on a routine basis and can help identify a more accurate estimate of the real and long-term effect of injuries, such as a loss in earning capacity if the accident left the victim disabled. An injury lawyer may also ask an economist or actuary for help in assessing the lifetime impact of an accident.
• Works through a variety of legal processes: A personal injury lawyer can help in a number of different judicial forums. For example, he or she may help with informal negotiation with the insurance company before or after a case is filed in court. Alternatively, they may help litigate a case if the settlement offer is not satisfactory to the client or the claim is denied. However, personal injury lawyers can also help in other types of forums such as alternative dispute resolution. Arbitration may be required if the victim’s own insurance company is involved. This involves presenting a case in front of a neutral arbitrator who makes a binding decision. Mediation consists of the victim and the person responsible for the injury working together to reach a solution out of court with the help of a third-party neutral.
Surprisingly, not every case requires the use of a lawyer. If the damages are minimal, there is no serious injury and the settlement offer appears reasonable, providing a significant portion of the settlement to an attorney may not make sense. However, sometimes cases that seem simple at first may become more complicated, which may be best handled by hiring an experienced personal injury lawyer. For example, someone’s insurance may not have been in effect at the time of the accident or an injury might not reveal itself as chronic until months after the accident. Some key times to hire an injury lawyer include when:
• The claim is denied: If you know that the other party was responsible for the accident but the insurance company does not want to take responsibility, it is important to talk to a lawyer to get an objective and experienced opinion.
• Multiple parties may be involved: In some cases, accidents might involve multiple vehicles or parties. This often complicates things. This can occur if there was a multi-car pileup or a situation involving contractors, subcontractors and employees. An injury lawyer can help identify all parties that may share liability in the case and who may be named as defendants.
• A settlement is offered: It is often worth the time and money to consult with a personal injury lawyer before accepting a settlement. Insurance companies may try to get rid of cases as quickly as possible to minimize the payout since they represent their client’s financial interests. Very often, the first offer is a low-ball offer that they hope the victim will accept. A personal injury lawyer can determine whether an offer seems fair.
Sometimes, the skills of an experienced injury lawyer or at least the threat to an insurance company that such a lawyer may present are worth the money you must pay that lawyer to represent you. You may need a lawyer because of complex legal rules involved in your particular claim, or because the severity of your injuries might cause your compensation to vary greatly from the norm or simply because an insurance company refuses to settle a matter in good faith. The following types of injuries and accidents almost certainly require a lawyer’s help.
• Long-Term or Permanently Disabling Injuries: Some accidents result in injuries that significantly affect your physical capabilities or appearance for a long time over a year or even permanently. Figuring out how much such a serious injury is worth can be a difficult business. You’ll probably require some assistance from an experienced lawyer to get the most out of your claim.
• Severe Injuries: The amount of your accident compensation is mostly determined by how severe your injuries were. And the severity of your injuries is measured by the amount of your medical bills, the type of injuries you have, and the length of time it takes for you to recover. As the amount of your potential compensation increases, the range within which that compensation may fall becomes wider. In such cases, it may be worth the expense to have a lawyer handle your claim and make sure you receive compensation at the highest end of the range.
• Medical Malpractice: If you have suffered an injury or illness due to careless, unprofessional, or incompetent treatment at the hands of a doctor, nurse, hospital, clinic, laboratory, or other medical provider, both the medical questions and the legal rules involved are complex. They almost certainly require that you hire a lawyer experienced in medical malpractice cases.
• Toxic Exposure: In the increasingly chemical world, we sometimes become ill because of exposure to contaminants in the air, soil, or water, in products, or in food. Claims based on such exposure are difficult to prove, however, and often require complex scientific data. And because the chemical and other industries have erected a huge wall to protect themselves from legal exposure while they continue to expose us to potentially harmful chemicals, the required evidence is very hard to come by. Get expert help.
• When Insurance Company Refuses to Pay: In some instances, regardless of the nature of your injury or the amount of your medical bills and lost income, you will want to hire a lawyer because an insurance company or government agency simply refuses to make any fair settlement offer at all. In these cases, something what the lawyer can get minus the fee charged to get it is better than nothing.
Types of Injury Cases In South Jordan Utah
Any case or claim that involves an injury to the body or mind falls under the umbrella of an injury law. Some of the most common types of cases handled by this type of lawyer include:
• Animal bite injuries
• Auto accidents
• Aviation accidents
• Bicycle accidents
• Boating accidents
• Brain injuries
• Burn injuries
• Construction accidents
• Defective products
• Insurance/bad faith claims
• Medical malpractice
• Motorcycle accidents
• Nursing home abuse
• Pedestrian accidents
• Slip and fall accidents
• Spinal cord injuries
• Wrongful death
Personal and Professional Skills
The most successful injury attorneys excel at oral advocacy, negotiation, and client development. They should also have a capacity for handling stress and pressure, particularly those who decide to practice on their own rather than sign on as an associate with an existing firm. Attorneys in this specialty usually represent clients on a contingency basis, meaning their fees represent a percentage of the plaintiff’s eventual compensation when the case is resolved, which is typically from 30 to 40 percent. This arrangement means that the plaintiff doesn’t pay a fee unless and until the lawyer recovers money on their behalf.
These lawyers are typically only compensated if they win. Some injury cases can drag out for years before they’re resolved. This makes efficient time management skills very important as well. An injury attorneys have to balance these long, involved cases with shorter, less demanding ones if they’re going to pay the bills, at least if they elect to go into practice for themselves. It’s often recommended that new injury lawyers get their feet wet with an established law firm before heading out on their own even an insurance defense firm. This will help them understand the ins-and-outs of how their adversaries approach cases.
Factors to Consider Before Hiring a an Injury Attorney in South Jordan, Utah
• Lawyers Near Me Who Practice Injury Law: When searching for an injury Lawyer in South Jordan, Utah, it is important to search for a law firm that handles injury cases similar to your case. For instance, if a car accident caused your injuries, you may want to search for “car accident attorney near me” when you begin your internet search for a lawyer to handle your automobile insurance claim. The same is true if your injury relates to medical malpractice, wrongful death, dog bites, semi-truck accidents, and motorcycle accident in Utah, workers ’ compensation, premises liability, catastrophic injuries, or pedestrian accidents.
• Experienced Injury Lawyers: Experience matters. Professionals, including injury lawyers, are always learning about their practice. You do not want your case to be a “learning lesson” in which the attorney realizes that he should have hired an expert witness early in the case instead of waiting until after a personal injury lawsuit is filed to consult an expert witness. You also do not want a lawyer representing you who is still learning the local rules and procedures of the various courts in your area who might miss a deadline or fail to file the correct motions in your case to keep your case moving efficiently through the court system. Every attorney gains experience through each case the attorney handles. However, when the negligence of another party causes you harm or injury, you need accident lawyers who specialize in motor vehicle accidents, and already understand personal injury law, the court systems, tactics used by insurance companies, settlement demands, expert witnesses, accident investigations, rules of evidence, and statutes of limitations to handle your injury claim. You need an accident attorney who has several years of experience under his belt after law school to fight for your best interests.
• How Much Will A Personal Injury Attorney Cost Me: Most injury lawyers in South Jordan Utah offer a free consultation for accident victims. During the free appointment, victims can ask questions about the injury process while the attorney reviews the facts in the case to determine if the attorney believes the person has a valid legal claim for compensation. One important question you want to discuss during your free consultation is how much the attorney charges for services and how much money you will need to pay up front to retain the law firm. In most cases, Utah injury law firms accept cases involving injuries and accidents on a contingency fee basis. A contingency fee means that you will not pay any money up front to retain the law firm. You agree to pay a percentage of the amount recovered for your claim to the law firm for attorney fees. In many cases, you are only charged attorney fees if the lawyer obtains a settlement on your behalf. In other words, you do not pay any attorney fees if the law firm does not recover money for your injury claim. However, you should also discuss the payment of costs and expenses of the case. Depending on your case and whether an injury lawsuit is filed, you could incur some minor fees and expenses related to your claim. The way expenses and costs are handled vary by law firm, so make sure you ask about this matter before you retain an attorney for your case.
• Proven Track Record of Obtaining Fair Compensation: Another factor to consider when retaining an injury attorney in South Jordan is the attorney’s track record. Does the attorney win cases? Has the attorney won large settlements in jury trials? What is the law firm’s rate of success versus losses? As with any professional, you want to retain a lawyer who has a proven record of winning injury cases. When you question a law firm about their success rate, be sure to consider the total number of cases they handle each year. If an injury lawyer tells you that he has a 100 percent success rate, you are likely to be impressed until you hear that the attorney only handles two cases a year.
• Skilled Trial Litigators and Negotiators: You want to choose a Utah injury attorney who is a talented negotiator and a skilled, experienced trial litigator. Most personal injury claims settle without filing a personal injury lawsuit or going to trial. Therefore, polished negotiating skills are crucial for a personal injury lawyer. You want your attorney to be able to negotiate effectively with insurance companies to obtain a fair and just settlement for your claim as quickly as possible. A talented negotiator understands how to use the facts of the injury case to maximize the amount of compensation you receive for your accident claim.
• Excellent Availability and Communications: Make sure that you ask the law firm how quickly they return telephone calls, emails, and other forms of communication. Talented attorneys are busy. You may not always be able to reach an injury attorney or a paralegal when you call a law firm. However, it is important to know that you will receive a return call within a certain number of hours. It is also important to understand the procedure used in the law firm to handle calls related to urgent matters that cannot wait for a return call.
Personal Injury Attorney South Jordan Utah
When you need a personal injury attorney in South Jordan Utah, please call Ascent Law LLC for your free consultation (801) 676-5506. We want to help you.
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States
Telephone: (801) 676-5506
Ascent Law St. George Utah Office
Ascent Law Ogden Utah Office
South Jordan, Utah
South Jordan, Utah
|Incorporated||November 8, 1935|
|Named for||Jordan River|
|• Mayor||Dawn Ramsey|
|• Manager||Gary L. Whatcott|
|• Total||22.31 sq mi (57.77 km2)|
|• Land||22.22 sq mi (57.54 km2)|
|• Water||0.09 sq mi (0.23 km2)|
||4,439 ft (1,353 m)|
|• Density||3,452.07/sq mi (1,332.86/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−7 (Mountain (MST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−6 (MDT)|
|Area code(s)||385, 801|
|GNIS feature ID||1432728|
South Jordan is a city in south central Salt Lake County, Utah, United States, 18 miles (29 km) south of Salt Lake City. Part of the Salt Lake City metropolitan area, the city lies in the Salt Lake Valley along the banks of the Jordan River between the 10,000-foot (3,000 m) Oquirrh Mountains and the 11,000-foot (3,400 m) Wasatch Mountains. The city has 3.5 miles (5.6 km) of the Jordan River Parkway that contains fishing ponds, trails, parks, and natural habitats. The Salt Lake County fair grounds and equestrian park, 67-acre (27 ha) Oquirrh Lake, and 37 public parks are located inside the city. As of 2020, there were 77,487 people in South Jordan.
Founded in 1859 by Mormon settlers and historically an agrarian town, South Jordan has become a rapidly growing bedroom community of Salt Lake City. Kennecott Land, a land development company, has recently begun construction on the master-planned Daybreak Community for the entire western half of South Jordan, potentially doubling South Jordan’s population. South Jordan was the first municipality in the world to have two temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Jordan River Utah Temple and Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple), it now shares that distinction with Provo, Utah. The city has two TRAX light rail stops, as well as one commuter rail stop on the FrontRunner.
About South Jordan, Utah
Neighborhoods in South Jordan, Utah
Bloomington Hills, Grand Heights Neighborhood, St. George, Vernon Worthen Park, Bloomington Hills North Park, 2450 East Park, Blake Memorial Park, Town Square Park, Tonaquint Park, Skyline Pond, Bloomington Petroglyph Park, St George Narrows, Pioneer Park, Vista Del Sol, Black Ridge Cove by Richmond American Homes, Sun River St George, SunRiver St. George Community Association, The Dixie Sugarloaf, Fountain Heights Apartment, Arizona Strip District Office
Things To Do in South Jordan, Utah
Bus Stops in South Jordan, Utah to Ascent Law LLC
Bus Stop in South Jordan Station (Bay A) South Jordan, Utah to Ascent Law LLC
Bus Stop in South Jordan Pkwy @ 1330 W South Jordan, Utah to Ascent Law LLC
Bus Stop in South Jordan Pkwy @ 1523 W South Jordan, Utah to Ascent Law LLC
Bus Stop in South Jordan Pkwy @ 1667 W South Jordan, Utah to Ascent Law LLC
Bus Stop in South Jordan Pky (10400 S) @ 4518 W South Jordan, Utah to Ascent Law LLC
Bus Stop in South Jordan Gateway @ 10428 S South Jordan, Utah to Ascent Law LLC
Bus Stop in South Jordan Pkwy @ 428 W South Jordan, Utah to Ascent Law LLC
Bus Stop in Redwood Rd @ 9412 S South Jordan, Utah to Ascent Law LLC
Bus Stop in Redwood Rd @ 10102 S South Jordan, Utah to Ascent Law LLC
Bus Stop in South Jordan Pkwy @ 1526 W South Jordan, Utah to Ascent Law LLC
Bus Stop in Jordan Gateway @ 11328 S South Jordan, Utah to Ascent Law LLC
Bus Stop in 9000 S @ 1236 W South Jordan, Utah to Ascent Law LLC
Driving Directions in South Jordan, Utah to Ascent Law LLC
Driving Directions from Courtyard by Marriott Salt Lake City Sandy to South Jordan, Utah
Driving Directions from Hilton Garden Inn Salt Lake City/Sandy to South Jordan, Utah
Driving Directions from Hampton Inn Salt Lake City/Sandy to South Jordan, Utah
Driving Directions from Extended Stay America - Salt Lake City - Sandy to South Jordan, Utah
Driving Directions from Residence Inn by Marriott Salt Lake City Sandy to South Jordan, Utah
Driving Directions from Super 8 by Wyndham S Jordan/Sandy/Slc Area to South Jordan, Utah
Driving Directions from Awaken Event Center to South Jordan, Utah
Driving Directions from Best Western Plus Cotton Tree Inn to South Jordan, Utah
Driving Directions from Best Buy to South Jordan, Utah
Driving Directions from Holiday Inn Express & Suites Sandy - South Salt Lake City, an IHG Hotel to South Jordan, Utah
Driving Directions from Jordan River Utah Temple to South Jordan, Utah
Driving Directions from Sleep Inn South Jordan-Sandy to South Jordan, Utah
Reviews for Ascent Law LLC South Jordan, Utah
We've gotten divorce and child custody work from Ascent Law since the beginning because of my ex. We love this divorce firm! Staff is gentle, friendly and skilled. Tanya knows her stuff. Nicole is good and Ryan is fun. Really, all the staff here are careful, kind and flexible. They always answer all my questions, explain what they're doing and provide great legal services. I personally think they are the best for divorce in Utah.
I have had an excellent experience with Ascent Law, Michael Reed is an absolutely incredible attorney. He is 100% honest and straight forward through the entire legal process of things, he also has a wonderful approach to helping better understand certain agreements, rights, and legal standing of matters, to where it was easy to know whats going on the entire process. I appreciate the competency, genuine effort put forth, and assistance I received from Ascent and attorney Michael Reed, and I will be calling these guys if ever I have the need again for their legal assistance! 5star review Wonderful attorneys!
This review is well deserved for Ryan and Josh. New clients should know they are worth the 5 star rating we give them. We needed 2 sessions from them because of the complexity of the matter, but they are both very passionate about his helping others in need. My sister needed bankruptcy and I needed divorce. Sometimes they go hand in hand but a large shout out to this team - also Nicole is one of the sweetest people you ever did meet - she offered me warm cookies!
Mike Anderson and his colleagues & staff are knowledgeable, attentive and caring. In a difficult and complex case that eventually went to trial, Mike was the voice of reason and the confidence I needed. His courtroom abilities are amazing and I felt his defense of me was incredible. His quick thinking and expertise allowed for a positive result when I felt the World was crumbling. His compassion, after the case, has helped me return to a good life. I trust Mike and his staff. They are friendly and very good at what they do.
I worked with Attorney Alex and Paralegal Ami in my divorce case. I got to know the team very well over the course of two years. I cannot think of a better team to have worked with. Ami and Alex are not only exceptional law professions who are very knowledgeable and thorough, they are also the best human beings who empathize with the emotions I was experiencing. Alex was conscious of my budget and worked efficiently to try to reduce unnecessary legal expenses. My case also involved some dealings with a foreign country that Alex and his team had previously dealt with. They did an amazing job addressing cultural barriers in a very respectful manner and did not fall short in quality of work or in standards when dealing with some of these new challenges. Ami deserves a medal for being extremely professional, calming, and compassionate when it is needed most. When you need family law attorneys, call this firm. I now feel I can move forward with grace and dignity.