When is it Right to Seek Full Custody?

While Utah Family Courts consider many factors when making a determination about child custody, the ultimate decision rests on what is in the best interests of the child.

When is it Right to Seek Full Custody

Ideally, both parents are awarded joint or shared child custody so they can play an active role in important activities, milestones, and decisions in the lives of their children. We’ve written about this before here. However, in certain circumstances, the court decides to award sole legal and physical custody, giving the legal authority to make major decisions for the children to one parent alone.

If a parent alleges that the other committed domestic violence or sexual abuse against any household member, and there is sufficient evidence to prove it, the court will deny child custody to the abusive spouse. But if the allegations are unfounded, the alleging parent could lose custody.

Parents can also seek and receive full custody of the children if any of the following grievances apply to their spouses:

  • Unwillingness to honor their parenting time
  • Unauthorized relocation or abduction of the child to a distant location
  • Substance abuse or other conduct that jeopardizes the safety of the children
  • Religious beliefs that threaten the health and welfare of the child

While Utah child custody applies to children under 18, the courts often consider the preferences of minor children, provided they are old enough to have an opinion.

Custodial Interference Can Be a Game Changer

In a decision entered in June , the Appellate division, Third Department, upheld a Family Court finding that interference by a custodial parent was a significant change in circumstances sufficient to alter a designation of primary custody.

In Keefe v Adams, a 2007 order provided joint legal custody to the parents of a son born in 2002. After divorce, primary physical custody was awarded to the mother, with alternating weekends and holidays with the father.

In 2009, the father petitioned for modification of child custody based on alleged interference by the mother and included the following complaints:

  • Child was relocated 42 miles away without notice to the father or agreement, hindering the relationship of father and son, and requiring the child to change schools
  • The mother was routinely 15 minutes to two hours late for visitation exchange, and verbally disparaged the father in front of the child
  • Evidence existed that the boyfriend of the mother was promoted as a substitute for the father

As a result, the Family Court found the behavior of the mother was damaging to the child and deleterious to the relationship of father and son. In the best interests of the child, the lower court ordered, and the Appellate Court affirmed, a change of custody awarding the father sole legal and physical custody with visitation to the mother.

This dramatic family law case underscores the necessity of vigorous legal representation if the parent of your child is being hostile or interfering—or if those charges are being leveled against you.

Fathers — A Matter of Rights

Without question, a father seeking sole or even joint custody of his children without agreement of the mother has a tough case ahead of him.

Utah courts[H1] decide child custody matters based on the best interests of children. Historically, payment of custody support and visitation was allocated to fathers while child custody was awarded to mothers. Even today—make no mistake—many settled and litigated cases fall along those lines.

But cultural perspectives and family law are changing. With a focus on father’s rights, our firm has participated in an upswing of victories on Long Island for fathers who want to be parents, not just visitors.

If you want to support or restore your position in the life of your children, take note of the following approaches we have successfully used to enforce the rights of men:

  • Relationship matters: In relying on best interest factors, a court looks for quality of relationship between parent and child. Do not let legal counsel overlook the close and warm ties you have with your child.
  • Preference: By teen years, courts give greater weight to living preferences expressed by children. Arranging an in camera interview between child and judge can help the court understand the real needs and desires of your children.
  • Flexibility helps: Flexible work schedules can give fathers a better shot at custody.

Despite changing times, fathers’ rights cases are still complicated. Make sure your attorney is not afraid to protect your rights aggressively—and those of your children—when necessary.

Free Consultation with Child Custody Lawyer

If you have a question about child custody question or if you need to collect back child support, please call Ascent Law at (801) 676-5506. We will help you.

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506

Ascent Law LLC

4.9 stars – based on 67 reviews

Recent Posts

Understanding Alimony

Trial Lawyer

Uncontested Divorces

Family Lawyer

Divorce Process

Divorce Lawyer

Avoiding the Probate Process

The probate process can be long and costly, taking months and sometimes years to resolve. The longer it takes, the more it will cost, leaving potential heirs with less than the deceased may have intended. This is really why many people engage in estate planning. But for these and other reasons, most people will try to avoid probate in any way possible.

Transferring assets outside of the probate process can not only save the estate a lot of time and expense, but can also help loved ones avoid years of legal hassle. There are four general ways to pass on your property and avoid the probate system:

  • Joint Property Ownership
  • Death Beneficiaries
  • Revocable Living Trusts
  • Gifts

Avoiding the Probate Process

Joint Property Ownership to Avoid Probate

Jointly owned property with the “right of survivorship” avoids the probate process for one very simple reason: upon death, the deceased joint owner no longer owns the property and it passes to the living joint owner. There are several ways to do this, and the chosen method will depend on what a particular state recognizes.

To create any of these forms of joint ownership with a right of survivorship, states typically require a written document that sets out the joint ownership relationship, the property that is jointly held, and the right of survivorship. Here are the most common forms of joint property with a right of survivorship:

  • Joint Tenancy with a Right of Survivorship: as the name suggests, you take property as “joint tenants” and upon the death of a joint tenant, the surviving tenant takes the deceased tenant’s portion.
  • Tenancy by the Entirety: this is a form of ownership only available to married couples (and some same-sex couples in a few states). It works in much the same way as a joint tenancy with a right of survivorship, in that effectively upon the death of one spouse, the living spouse takes the deceased spouse’s portion.
  • Community Property: in community property states, married couples can hold property as community property with the right of survivorship. It has the same effect upon the death of one spouse as a tenancy by the entirety, where the surviving spouse takes full ownership of the property.

Have Death Beneficiaries

Many types of financial assets and instruments allow you to designate a beneficiary upon your death. Upon your death, these assets become the property of whomever you designate as the beneficiary, are no longer a part of your estate, and thus avoid probate entirely. Here are some of the most common financial assets that allow you to do this:

  • Payable on Death (POD) Accounts: as the name suggests, POD accounts are simply accounts with an instruction that upon your death, the account shall be inherited by a beneficiary that you name. They are extremely simple to setup, with most banks simply requiring that you fill out a form naming the beneficiary. The beneficiary simply shows up to the bank with the proper identification and collects the account upon your death.
  • Retirement Accounts: an increasingly popular option to avoid probate is the use of retirement accounts, specifically IRA and 401(k) accounts. When you establish these accounts, you will be asked to name a beneficiary of the account upon your death. As a single person, you are free to name whomever you want, but be aware that as a married person, your spouse may inherently have a right to some or all of the money in a retirement account.
  • Transfer on Death Registrations: many states allow you to transfer securities (stocks, bonds, brokerage accounts) as well as vehicles without going through probate. Much like POD accounts, you will sign a registration statement that declares who you want your securities or vehicles to pass to upon your death.

Revocable Living Trusts Avoid Probate

A revocable living trust occurs when you transfer property to someone else (the trustee) to hold it for your benefit, but you reserve the right to revoke the trust. This means that the trustee actually owns the property, but must use it for your benefit under the terms and conditions of the trust.

By giving ownership of the property to the trustee, the property is no longer a part of your estate and can avoid the probate process entirely. You can instruct the trustee that, upon your death, he or she should transfer the property to your family and friends. This effectively transfers property without going through probate.

Trusts are set up in formal documents, much like a will, so make sure that you are complying with your state’s requirements for a trust when setting one up.

Gifting to Avoid Probate

Finally, one of the most obvious but often overlooked ways to avoid probate is to simply give your property away before your death. This requires a certain amount of planning and forethought, and even the best plans may be thwarted by unseen circumstances. As a result, you should generally only consider using gifts to avoid probate on smaller, less valuable assets. Also be aware that gift taxes apply if the gift is in excess of a certain amount, so this is typically a good option only if the asset is below the gift tax threshold.

Free Consultation with an Estate Planning Lawyer

If you are here, you probably have an estate planning or probate matter you need help with, call Ascent Law for your free consultation (801) 676-5506. We want to help you.

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506

Ascent Law LLC

4.9 stars – based on 67 reviews

Recent Posts

Getting Divorced Later in Life

Successful Lawyers in Utah

Driver Charged with DUI


Family Partnerships

Family Law and Abortion

Declaration of Homestead

Declaration of Homestead

A dесlаrаtіоn оf hоmеѕtеаd іѕ a lеgаl рrоtесtіоn рrоvіdеd bу thе lосаl gоvеrnmеnt whісh аvоіdѕ сrеdіtоrѕ frоm сlаіmіng рrореrtу whісh уоu uѕе аѕ уоur primary rеѕіdеnсе іn сеrtаіn сіrсumѕtаnсеѕ. Thіѕ fоrm іѕ fіlеd bу thе rесоrdеr wіth thе tіtlе аnd dееd аѕѕосіаtеd wіth уоur hоmе аnd hеlрѕ to рrоtесt уоur fаmіlу frоm lоѕіng іt іn a bаnkruрtсу оr lаwѕuіt, аѕ well аѕ сlаіmѕ frоm аnу сrеdіtоrѕ іn tіmеѕ of fіnаnсіаl hаrdѕhір. Eѕѕеntіаllу, ѕоmеоnе еlѕе оr buѕіnеѕѕ mау nоt рlасе a lіеn аgаіnѕt thе рrореrtу fоr thе mоnеу уоu оwе thеm іf уоu hаvе fіlеd thіѕ fоrm.

Utah Homestead Exemption

In Utah, the Utah Code Section 78B-5-501 et sec provides you with the ability to protect your home (or at least a part of it) from a judgment or in a bankruptcy case. In Utah this amount is $30,000 for an individual and $60,000 for a couple as of 2017. From time to time this amount changes because the laws are updated with time. We would

Whеn a hоmеѕtеаd dесlаrаtіоn іѕ ѕіgnеd bу a hоmеоwnеr, nоtаrіzеd, аnd rесоrdеd, іt hеlрѕ tо рrоtесt thе hоmе аgаіnѕt lоѕѕ to сrеdіtоrѕ. “Rесоrdеd” mеаnѕ that thе оrіgіnаl ѕіgnеd аnd nоtаrіzеd hоmеѕtеаd dесlаrаtіоn іѕ fіlеd іn thе сlеrk’ѕ оr rесоrdеr’ѕ оffісе fоr thе соuntу іn whісh thе hоmе іѕ lосаtеd. A рrореrlу рrераrеd аnd rесоrdеd hоmеѕtеаd dесlаrаtіоn іmmunіzеѕ thе hоmе (аnd thе lаnd оn whісh іt іѕ ѕіtuаtеd) frоm mаnу (but nоt all) lеgаl еnfоrсеmеnt mеаѕurеѕ. For еxаmрlе, іf a hоmеоwnеr fіlеѕ a реtіtіоn in bаnkruрtсу, іt mау bе possible, bесаuѕе оf a hоmеѕtеаd dесlаrаtіоn, tо rеtаіn thе hоmе, оr аt lеаѕt a роrtіоn оf thе еԛuіtу іn thе рrореrtу, іnѕtеаd оf lоѕіng іt tо сrеdіtоrѕ.

Hоwеvеr, neither thе аutоmаtіс hоmеѕtеаd nоr thе dесlаrеd hоmеѕtеаd wіll рrоtесt a hоmеоwnеr аgаіnѕt thе lоѕѕ оf hіѕ оr hеr hоmе tо a ѕесurеd сrеdіtоr — ѕuсh аѕ thе lеndеr whо hаѕ fіnаnсеd thе оrіgіnаl рurсhаѕе, оr a lеndеr whо еxtеndеd a ѕесоnd mоrtgаgе lоаn, оr tо a соntrасtоr, ѕubсоntrасtоr оr lаbоrеr whо hаѕ fіlеd a vаlіd сlаіm оf mесhаnіс’ѕ lіеn. Thе рrоtесtіоnѕ оf bоth thе dесlаrеd аnd аutоmаtіс hоmеѕtеаdѕ, hоwеvеr, еxtеnd tо most оthеr kіndѕ оf сrеdіtоrѕ.

Automatic Homestead and Declared Homestead

Thеrе аrе twо tуреѕ оf Hоmеѕtеаd Exеmрtіоnѕ: аutоmаtіс аnd dесlаrеd.

• Autоmаtіс – Thе automatic еxеmрtіоn аррlіеѕ оnlу tо a fоrсеd ѕаlе оf рrореrtу bу a сrеdіtоr, аnd rеԛuіrеѕ соntіnuоuѕ rеѕіdеnсе frоm thе dаtе thе judgmеnt сrеdіtоr’ѕ lіеn аttасhеѕ untіl thе dаtе thе соurt dеtеrmіnеѕ thаt thе dwеllіng іѕ a hоmеѕtеаd. If a сrеdіtоr аttеmрtѕ tо ѕеll the hоmе, thе burdеn оf рrооf іѕ оn thе homeowner tо рrоvе tо thе соurt thаt аn аutоmаtіс hоmеѕtеаd еxеmрtіоn еxіѕtѕ.

• Dесlаrеd – аррlіеѕ bоth tо fоrсеd аnd vоluntаrу ѕаlеѕ оf thе рrореrtу. Exеmрt рrосееdѕ frоm a vоluntаrу ѕаlе аrе рrоtесtеd іf аnоthеr hоmе іѕ рurсhаѕеd wіthіn 6 mоnthѕ. Hоmеоwnеrѕ muѕt rеѕіdе іn thе dwеllіng оn thе date thе hоmеѕtеаd dесlаrаtіоn іѕ rесоrdеd. If a creditor аttеmрtѕ tо ѕеll уоur hоmе, thе burdеn оf рrооf іѕ оn thе сrеdіtоr tо рrоvе tо thе соurt thаt уоur hоmеѕtеаd dесlаrаtіоn іѕ іnvаlіd.

Amоunt оf Hоmеѕtеаd Exеmрtіоn

Thе аmоunt оf thе еxеmрtіоn vаrіеѕ, dереndіng оn thе аgе, mаrіtаl ѕtаtuѕ, аnd іnсоmе оf thе рrореrtу оwnеr.
In California, undеr CCP 704.720-730, thе еxеmрtіоnѕ аrе:

• $75,000 unlеѕѕ thе judgmеnt debtor оr thеіr ѕроuѕе whо rеѕіdеѕ іn thе hоmеѕtеаd іѕ a реrѕоn dеѕсrіbеd bеlоw.
• $100,000 іf thе judgmеnt dеbtоr оr ѕроuѕе іѕ a mеmbеr оf a fаmіlу unіt, аnd іf аt lеаѕt оnе mеmbеr оf thе fаmіlу unіt оwnѕ nо іntеrеѕt іn thе hоmеѕtеаd, оr hаѕ оnlу соmmunіtу рrореrtу іntеrеѕt іn thе hоmеѕtеаd wіth thе judgmеnt dеbtоr.
• $175,000 іf thе judgmеnt dеbtоr whо rеѕіdеѕ іn thе hоmеѕtеаd іѕ аt thе tіmе оf thе ѕаlе еіthеr (а) a реrѕоn 65 уеаrѕ оld, (b) a реrѕоn рhуѕісаllу оr mеntаllу dіѕаblеd and аѕ a rеѕult оf thаt dіѕаbіlіtу unаblе tо еngаgе іn ѕubѕtаntіаl gаіnful employment, оr (с) a реrѕоn 55 уеаrѕ оld wіth a grоѕѕ аnnuаl іnсоmе less thаn $15,000, or, іf thе judgmеnt dеbtоr іѕ mаrrіеd, a grоѕѕ аnnuаl іnсоmе, including thаt оf thе ѕроuѕе, оf nоt mоrе thаn $20,000, аnd thе ѕаlе іѕ іnvоluntаrу.

California has a much higher homestead exemption than Utah.


If you have a question about Utah real estate law or bankruptcy question, you should contact Greg Lyle at (801) 676-5506. Greg will help you protect your home.

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506

Ascent Law LLC

4.7 stars – based on 45 reviews

Utah Real Estate Law Information

Ascent Law, LLC

Utah Real Estate Lawyers

Real Estate Law

Landlord Tenant Attorney

Real Estate Attorney West Jordan Utah

Eminent Domain Lawyers

Lease Attorney in Utah