Wayne County Utah

Wayne County Utah

Wayne County is as historic as it is naturally beautiful. The land tells a tale through formation and erosion. The people tell their story as it is passed down from earlier generations. Scientists have identified the remains of extinct Pleistocene species such as the sloth, horse, mammoth, bison, and camel in Wayne County and dated Archaic and Fremont Indian sites (Cowboy Caves) to between 6300 B.C. and 450 A.D. Horseshoe (Barrier) Canyon and the Maze section of Canyon lands in eastern Wayne contain spectacular pictographs. In historic times the county was part of the Ute Indians’ domain.

Wayne was created in May 1892 from Piute County. Most of its towns were settled after 1880 because of the remote location and limited resources. A delegate to the constitutional convention gave it the name of Wayne County.

Raising livestock is the oldest and most important industry. Beef cattle produce the most income, but dairy cows, sheep, and poultry have all contributed to the local economy in the past. Getting cattle to market was difficult.

Until good roads were built in the 1930s stock was driven some 100 miles north to the railroad at Nephi and later to a Denver & Rio Grande branch line in Sevier County. The creation of national forests in the early 20th century reduced the number of cattle that could be grazed in western Wayne County. The lumber industry became another major source of income. Wayne County is logged at a higher elevation than any place in the U.S. This area has long been famed for its hunting and fishing quality. With the completion of highway 24 through Capitol Reef National Park and scenic highway 12 over the Boulder Mountain, Wayne County is enjoying in more recent years tourism. This also provides income for some residents. Almost every town in the county has excellent accommodations for the tourist.

There are two airports in the county. One is owned and maintained by the county near Bicknell and the second is government maintained and located at Hanksville. Uranium has been mined, and tar sands, another energy-related resource, await development. The state operates two fish hatcheries in Wayne. During the Great Depression the Works Progress Administration (WPA) provided funds to build a county courthouse in Loa. County officials originally met in private homes and rented quarters and later converted a store into office space. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), another federal program during the depression, operated three camps in the county. The CCC built roads, campgrounds, and small water projects. Road building has been a major concern of local government from the beginning.

Modern highways now make it easy for tourists to drive to many scenic attractions and give residents easy access to the nearest commercial center and medical and other services in Richfield.

Wayne County’s early residents were a diverse group of mammals. The sloth, horse, mammoth, and bison all have left evidence of their lives here within the county borders. There also is evidence of the Archaic and Fremont Native American cultures living here with sites that date as far back as 6300 B.C. and up to A.D. 450. The pioneer settlers didn’t make it into this remote area until the 1880’s. When the U.S. government had work programs to build roads and campgrounds, the area grew both in the number of residents and towns. The county courthouse in Loa was built with funds earned by residents of the county during the depression-era. Ranchers have also used the area for raising cattle. The state and federal governments run over 97% of the land. The county’s main attraction and income is tourism at Capitol Reef National Park. The park gives the visitor a chance to drive, hike, and camp among the large and unique rock formations found in the area. Wayne County, located in the Coastal Plain region of North Carolina, was formed in 1779 from Dobbs County and named for Revolutionary War general “Mad Anthony” Wayne. Early inhabitants of the area included the Saponi and TuscaroraIndians; English and Scotch-Irish settlers later populated the region.

Goldsboro-named for Maj. Mathew Tilghman Goldsborough, assistant engineer on the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad, which passed through Wayne County-was incorporated in 1847 and replaced Waynesboro as the county seat in 1850. Wayne County agricultural products include cucumbers, soybeans, tobacco, corn, wheat, vegetables, cotton, poultry, and swine. Manufactured products include pickles and relishes, furniture, apparel, commercial baking equipment, and electric transformers. The estimated population of Wayne County was 115,000 in 2004.

The Wayne County Courthouse is located in Wooster, Ohio and was constructed to Thomas Boyd’s design from 1877 to 1879. The building is designed in classic Second Empire style and is composed of sandstone. The architect originally designed a symmetrical building separate from the old north annex of the previous courthouse. The reluctant county officials cited money issues and ordered the new building to be built connected to the old, thus giving it an offset appearance. The entrances are flanked by the Atlantes supporting a pediment. The first floor consists of smooth stone blocks. The windows are high arched and set back into the wall, above each is a small arch with a decorative keystone. The second and third floor is of a rougher, darker stone than the first. Doric and Corinthian columns flank the windows around the facade. The second floor windows are high arched and recessed. Here the buildings on either side of the tower differ, the northern half ending with a hipped roof, the southern half continuing on above. The third floor of the southern end contains rectangular recessed windows, the roof resting on a decorative molding above. On the southern side sits a broken pediment with a griffin peering out below. Resting on the pediment are two figures representing Justice, one holding the scales of justice, the other the Ten Commandments. The windows peeking out of the roof are round portholes. A high tower sits, oddly enough, at the end of the roofing detail, but correctly in the middle of the court complex. It rests on a broken pediment containing an urn. The tower raises two levels to become a clock tower, and then curves in to brace a cupola with a weather vane capping it. The Courthouse of 1878, Wayne County’s best-known symbol and most outstanding architectural landmark, is the latest in a succession of buildings that have housed Wayne County’s court system since pioneer days.

The county’s first real courthouse was erected in 1819 by Wooster founders John Bever, William Henry and John Larwill. Building a courthouse was one of the conditions of a deal that allowed the county seat to be moved from its original location in Madison (located atop what is today known as Madison Hill) to Wooster. The three-story brick structure, which incorporated a gallery, was occupied by county offices and Freemason organizations. In 1823, John Bever donated a bell for the structure’s bell tower. The courthouse burned in 1828 during a term of the court, and some county records were lost.

The second courthouse was built between 1831 and 1833 on the site of the first courthouse at a cost of $7,200. Designed by an architect named Mr. McCurdy, it was a square brick structure two stories tall with arched door openings, six-over-six window sash with shutters, and a central bell tower topped by a dome and high spire. The roof of the structure was covered with lead. In its day, it was considered to be one of the most architecturally outstanding courthouses in the state. Decorating the spire were an iron weathervane and two balls that were made of copper. The copper balls were gilded and bronzed. Crafted by John Babb of Wooster at a combined cost of $15.00, the large ball was 24 gallons and three quarts in size, while the smaller one was one-and-a-half gallons. The structure was condemned in 1877 after 44 years of service due to rotting timbers and “defective walls.” Public meetings began on Feb. 16 and 18, 1878 on building a new county courthouse, and $75,000 was appropriated for the project. John McSweeney and John P. Jeffries served as chairmen for the undertaking. While the new courthouse was under construction, court was held in the France’ Hall built in 1870. That building was eventually incorporated into the west section of Freedlander’s Department Store. The court returned to the site in June of 1879 when the work was finished. When the courthouse was completed, it was felt that the space was not properly divided with respect to its space and rooms. In 1910 the county commissioners spent $10,000 to alter the interior layout.

In July 1960, after running continuously for 81 years, the clock was stopped for three days during which it underwent a major cleaning and overhaul. By 1974 the striking hammer had been hitting the bell in the same spot for 95 years. A consultant recommended that the bell be turned 180 degrees and that the striking hammer be bored and a magnesium-bronze plug be inserted to strike the bell rather than the original cast steel hammer face. As a consequence, the bell now has a fuller tone and its resonance has been improved. Since 1889 the clock has had seven keepers. During the first half of the 20th century three generations of the Long family were among those taking care of the clock. The longest-serving caretaker of the clock is George J. Riehl of Wooster who has maintained the timepiece since 1952. All those who have taken care of the clock have etched their names and dates on the door frame of the clock works. In September, 1989, the courthouse’s tower began being illuminated at night by large yellow low-sodium spotlights placed on the roofs of surrounding buildings. The lighting plan was conceived by Main Street Wooster, Inc. and implemented with the assistance of the General Electric Company. The result is that the courthouse can now be seen at night on the Wayne County landscape from a great distance, looking like a large candle towering over the city’s other lights which spread out into the countryside. Over 177 years, the courthouse has undergone few renovations that disturb its original 19th century character. The recently completed renovation of Courtroom No. 1 to return it to its original character is indicative of the county’s ongoing commitment to preserving this outstanding structure so that it can continue to play the vital day-to-day role for which it was designed in the life of Wayne County.

Wayne County UT Cities, Towns, & Neighborhoods
• Bicknell
• Fremont
• Hanksville
• Loa
• Lyman
• Teasdale
• Torrey
• Caineville
• Fruita
• Grover
• Notom
Neighboring Counties
Bordering counties are as follows:
• Emery County, Utah – (north-central & east)
• Garfield County, Utah – (south)
• Piute County, Utah – (west)
• San Juan County, Utah – (east)
• Sevier County, Utah – (north-west)
Guidelines for UCC Permits:
• Any detached accessory structure over 1,000 square feet needs a UCC permit and inspections. (Anything under 1,000 square feet, contact the Zoning/Building Permit Officer.)
• Any addition attached to a dwelling unit, no matter how small, needs UCC permit and inspections.
• Most decks need a UCC permit and inspections. There are some exceptions. Best to call UCC Enforcement Officer with questions.
• Any structural change or change to means of egress requires a UCC permit and inspections.
• Swimming pools over 24″ in height and all in-ground pools require a UCC permit and inspections.

By offering the legal insurance plan, Legal GUARD, you’re helping to provide peace of mind and protection for your employees when it matters most. Legal GUARD members have access to a national network of attorneys with exceptional experience who are matched to meet specific legal needs. Members also get paid-in-full coverage on most legal matters, as well as personal guidance and coaching.

A Legal GUARD plan can be customized to fit your needs and offers a wide range of services:
• Home and residential (Buying, selling, refinance, foreclosure, and landlord/tenant)
• Financial (Debts, credit, collections, and contracts)
• Auto and traffic (Moving violations, tickets and license suspension)
• Family (Divorce, adoption, child support, child custody)
• Estate planning and wills (Will, living will, power of attorney)

Legal GUARD provides a valuable service

There are a number of reasons why Legal GUARD is so attractive to employees:
• Personalized and concierge assistance
• Simple to set up and easy to administer or implement
• Easy to understand plan design(s)
• No administrative or set-up fees charged
• Unique technology interfaces with organizations of all sizes
• Compatible enrollment and billing systems
Other Benefits Include:
• Medical Insurance
• Prescriptions Benefit Plan
• Optical Benefits
• Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Pay for Jury Duty
• Long Term Disability Plan
• Unemployment Compensation
• Social Security Coverage
• Retirement Plan
• Deferred Compensation
• Employee Assistance Program
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Flexible Spending Accounts for
Medical, Dependant Care, Adoption, Parking at Work and Commuter Transit
• Employee Wellness Program
• Other Voluntary Supplemental Benefits

Benefit Forms & Information

Tuition Reimbursement
• GBA Additional Book Form
• GBA Tuition Reimbursement Form
• General Tuition Reimbursement Form
• Student Loan Reimbursement Form
• Tuition Reimbursement Fact Sheet
• Tuition Reimbursement Work Plan Form

Healthcare Provider Forms

NOTE: It is important that the department personnel officer is immediately made aware of any leave in order to comply with Federal notice regulations under the Family Medical Leave Act.

• Family Medical Leave Act
• Employee – Certification of Health Care Provider
• Family Member – Certification of Health Care Provider
• Military Family – Certification of Qualifying Exigency
• Injured Service Member
• Leave of Absence Request
• Return From Leave Notice
• Approved Medical Facilities
• Injury Report

Benefits
• Dependent / Income Verification – IRS Form 4506T
• Enrollment Change of Status Form
• Flexible Spending Reimbursement Claim Form for Medical Expenses
• Flexible Spending Reimbursement Claim Form Dependent Care
• Flexible Spending Reimbursement Claim Form for Parking/Commuter Expenses
• Flexible Spending Account Plan Change in Status Form
• Optical Reimbursement Form
• Health and Welfare Plan
• Health and Welfare Plan Amendment
• LTD Plan
• Women’s Newborns & Mothers Health Notice
• COBRA Healthcare Continuation Notice
• Healthcare Opt Out Form
• Medicare Prescription Drug Credible Coverage Notice
• Woman’s’ Health and Cancer Rights Act
• ID Theft Program Deduction Authorization Form
• HSA Deduction Authorization Form
• Notice of Health Care Exchange
• HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices
• Mental Health Parity Notice of Exemption
• 3rdCC HSA One-Time Bonus Payment

General Health Benefit Plan Information

Wayne County Health & Welfare Benefit Plan

• Plan Amendment for Retiree Medical Savings Account
• Planning for Benefits
Wayne County Utah Court Directory
The Utah trial court system consists of District Courts, Juvenile Courts, and Justice Courts. Below is a directory of court locations in Wayne County. Links for online court records and other free court resources are provided for each court, where available.

District Courts in Wayne County
• 6th District Court – Wayne County

Wayne County Courthouse
18 South Main Street, PO Box 189, Loa, UT 84747
Phone: 435-836-1301
Fax: 435-836-2479

Juvenile Courts in Wayne County
• 6th District Juvenile Court – Wayne County
845 East 300 North, Richfield, UT 84701
Phone: 435-896-2710
Fax: 435-896-8047

Justice Courts in Wayne County
• Wayne County Justice Court

Wayne County Courthouse
18 South Main Street, PO Box 327, Loa, UT 84747
Phone: 435-836-1320
Fax: 435-836-2479

Free Initial Consultation with Lawyer

It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when. Legal problems come to everyone. Whether it’s your son who gets in a car wreck, your uncle who loses his job and needs to file for bankruptcy, your sister’s brother who’s getting divorced, or a grandparent that passes away without a will -all of us have legal issues and questions that arise. So when you have a law question, call Ascent Law for your free consultation (801) 676-5506. We want to help you!

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506
Ascent Law LLC

4.9 stars – based on 67 reviews


Recent Posts

What Are The Advantages Of Avoiding Probate?

What Are Some Effects Of Divorce Or Separation On Children?

What Is Exempt Security?

Business Lawyers

Estate Planning Lawyer

Divorce Lawyer and Family Law Attorneys

Ascent Law St. George Utah Office

Ascent Law Ogden Utah Office