8833 South Redwood Road
Suite C
West Jordan, UT 84088

Call For Free Consultation

(801) 676-5506

Call Us

Tax Forms Law

Tax Forms Law

Most people who file their own state and federal taxes typically starts with IRS Form 1040, but this is far from the only form you will need, or even the only possible form you can file. As an international tax attorney, I’ve seen it all. Typically, there are three different IRS income tax forms to choose from, and to claim certain deductions you need to attach separate forms that prove your eligibility for the deduction. Keep in mind however, that tax laws change on a regular basis and that this article, like all information on the web, could be outdated so be sure to call us for a free consultation if you avhe questions. With that said, let’s continue…

Which Tax Form Should I Use?

Most individual taxpayers will file one of three basic tax forms; Form 1040EZ, Form 1040A, or Form 1040. Form 1040EZ is the easiest and most streamlined to use. To qualify to use 1040EZ there can’t be any complications relating to household wages paid to a household employee, certain kinds of deduction or credit payments, dependents, or other complications.

Those who do not qualify to use Form 1040EZ may be qualified to file the alternative Form 1040A, which permits a greater range of tax credits and deductions. Form 1040A remains greatly streamlined and does not permit itemized deductions, dependents, or certain other complicating elements. Those who do not qualify to use Form 1040A may still employ Form 1040 to itemize deductions, claim adjustments and credits, or have other complications such as excise tax or uncollected employee tax.

Taxpayer Assistance Resources

The complicated nature of tax codes can make filing taxes stressful and confusing. If you are feeling overwhelmed there are a number of agencies and organizations that offer assistance to taxpayers. If you have questions about how to file, exemptions, forms to use, filing status, or other issues related to tax laws one of the organizations listed may be able to help.

These resources include national programs such as the IRS’s Taxpayer Advocate Service, the Intuit/Turbo Tax Freedom Project, and the America Pledge Offer. Active members of the U.S. Armed Forces may be eligible for assistance from the U.S. Armed Forces Tax Information provided by the IRS. Seniors may find taxpayer assistance through The American Association of Retired People’s Tax Aide Service or from the 60 Plus Association, both of which focus on tax issues affecting seniors, as well as resources relating to the “death” tax and Social Security.

IRS Forms and Publications

In addition to the other resources available here there are a number of sections available that provide access to the bewildering array of forms the IRS and state tax authorities’ use in the administration of their tax programs. These sections are conveniently divided so that you can look at your state specific tax forms, the IRS forms and publications that are most frequently requested by taxpayers, as well as comprehensive databases of federal tax forms and resources. Some of these resources are searchable by subject and many will direct you to the agency websites where you can fill a form out online, download and print a form, and in some cases allow you to submit forms digitally.

Where Do I File My Taxes?

After you complete your return, the next step is to send it to the IRS. You can do so by mailing it in the old-fashioned way or filing it online. Below, you’ll find more information about your filing options.

Filing Your Return Electronically

If you have access to the Internet and an email address, you can file a tax return electronically using the IRS’s “e-file” system. The IRS offers four ways to e-file your return:

  • If your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is less than $57,000, you can use “Free File,” the free tax preparation software from the IRS;
  • You can do the math yourself and simply fill in the forms on the IRS website;
  • You can use tax preparation software, follow the prompts, and press “send” once your forms are complete; or
  • You can hire an accountant to prepare your taxes and file them for you.

The IRS also allows you to pay your taxes electronically using its online system. You can specify whether you would like your refund deposited directly into your bank account or mailed to you by check.

E-filing has several benefits over filing by mail. For one, most tax preparation software will do the math for you and help you catch careless errors. Electronically filed tax returns also tend to be processed faster than paper returns, which means you’ll get your refund faster if you’re owed one.

Mailing Your Return

Alternatively, you could mail in your tax return. Before you do, it’s worth double checking your forms to make sure they’re accurate and the calculations are correct. Be sure to include a check or indicate when you’ll pay your taxes if necessary. Just like e-filing, you can choose to receive your refund by check or by direct deposit.

Finally, make sure you’re sending your tax returns to the correct address. If an addressed envelope came with your tax forms package, you should use it to mail your return. If you don’t have an addressed envelope, check the IRS’s site for the specific addresses for each state and each type of tax return.

Tax Attorney Free Consultation

When you need legal help with tax forms, please call Ascent Law for your free tax law consultation (801) 676-5506. We want to help you.

Michael R. Anderson, JD

Ascent Law LLC
8833 S. Redwood Road, Suite C
West Jordan, Utah
84088 United States

Telephone: (801) 676-5506

Ascent Law LLC

4.9 stars – based on 67 reviews

Recent Posts



Transfer on Death Beneficiary For Property

Invention Law

Child Support Collection From Social Security

Child Support and Imputed Income

Share this Article

About the Author

People who want a lot of Bull go to a Butcher. People who want results navigating a complex legal field go to a Lawyer that they can trust. That’s where I come in. I am Michael Anderson, an Attorney in the Salt Lake area focusing on the needs of the Average Joe wanting a better life for him and his family. I’m the Lawyer you can trust. I grew up in Utah and love it here. I am a Father to three, a Husband to one, and an Entrepreneur. I understand the feelings of joy each of those roles bring, and I understand the feeling of disappointment, fear, and regret when things go wrong. I attended the University of Utah where I received a B.A. degree in 2010 and a J.D. in 2014. I have focused my practice in Wills, Trusts, Real Estate, and Business Law. I love the thrill of helping clients secure their future, leaving a real legacy to their children. Unfortunately when problems arise with families. I also practice Family Law, with a focus on keeping relationships between the soon to be Ex’s civil for the benefit of their children and allowing both to walk away quickly with their heads held high. Before you worry too much about losing everything that you have worked for, before you permit yourself to be bullied by your soon to be ex, before you shed one more tear in silence, call me. I’m the Lawyer you can trust.